Tuesday 15 March 2016

Russian Meet in India :)

Hello dear friends! Hope things are going on well in your corner of the world, the storms are behind, and there is only good weather ahead... I can apply same to myself too. We have been having a good but rainy weather last week, which I love of course.
Last to last weekend we had a mega-meet of Russian, Belorussian, Ukrainian, Moldovian-Indian families living in Punjab area. About 14 girls, same number of children, and few husbands were there.  We had to go to another city Phagwara which is about 120 km from Chandigarh.
It was a buzzing event, a little loud because of kids, particularly little A, as he found his latest passion there - the stairs... and we had to climb them up along with him; it was good though to shed some calories and gain them again.
Russian meetings are not just meetings, it is usually a feast. Since we live far from our native land, the get togetherS become especially valuable. Good food promises good communication we believe. Each of us cooked a dish or two...We don't do it frequently, but when we do...
Russians LOVE various salads. These are Korean carrot salad and Vinegret salad.
One of the most favourite salads - Olivie, which we usually make for New Year :)
 Mini sandwiches look artistic on these plates.
 Mushroom stuffed eggshells.. I haven't tried these but someone said they were really good.
 Vegetable caviar - my mum's recipe :) It was yumm, though not everyone tasted it.
Chicken tefteli and Kiev cutlets.

Oh well.. not really Russian, but it was yummy! I haven't eaten sushi since Moscow (like 7 years ago?)!!! And NOTE - a home baked bread!!!
There were other dishes too, but I won't tire you with more.. let's have some dessert! Bezet fluffy buscuits:
Poncho cake - a specialty of one of our friends. She makes so yumm and so light!
 We had to drive back already in the evening, and could enjoy these beautiful views once again. We loved these trees growing on the both sides of the road - it is not visible here but the weather was slightly cloudy.
The sunset at river Sutlej...
I am loving these things in India - nature, being able to communicate with my folks and spend time with my D and little A :)

Food pictures credit goes to one of my friends, she takes really nice photos! Thank you!

32 comments:

  1. Looks like a lot of yummy foods!!!! I would have eaten till I popped! Must've been great to meet new friends. Are more meetings planned?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we will definitely plan more meetings, with yummy food on the table! I guess it could be Easter occasion.

      Delete
  2. OMG everything looks so yummy! Potluck meals really are the best for sheer quantity and variety! It's so nice that you can get together with other Russian people in your area -- a little bit of home for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Debra! Potluck allows to taste dishes one probably never ate before, and then exchange the recipes.

      Delete
  3. It's nice you are able to get together with other families that take you back to your roots. The food all looks interesting. Homemade bread is always a winner in my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is Tammy. Do you get a chance to get together with Americans there frequently?

      Delete
  4. Yum! I shouldn't have read your blog while I was hungry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, I hope you had some yummy food after that Charlotte.

      Delete
  5. Hi Anna, looks like you had a good time. So happy for you. We feel so thrilled when we come across some favourite dish or even someone who speaks our language, and we have moved only from one state to another! So for you it must be a joyous occasion. I think it is a wonderful idea. 'A' seems to be keeping you on your toes :)
    Have a lovely week. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sangeetha! Thanks for understanding :)Yes, I know... even within India there are so many different traditions in cuisine and overall diverse cultures, that one feels as if in the other country...

      Delete
  6. I'm happy for you to get together with other Russians and share you cuisine! It must take away the edge of missing your country. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa, we had a lovely time there. I would like to repeat soon :) Hugs!

      Delete
  7. What a fun time! All the food looks amazing! I would have been trying everything! You should put the recipe to your mom's dish on your blog. I would love to have it! Beautiful scenery driving home! Glad the weather has cleared up! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very great time! But finished too soon for me. Anyway we will try to get together again soon.

      Thanks Stacy, I will see if I can post this recipe in blog :)

      Delete
  8. You must have had such a fun time. All the dishes look amazingly mouth watering!! I have a Russian neighborhood friend and she always cooks the most amazing dishes!! Lots and lots of love from half the world away!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a great time, its true! Russian dishes are yummy! I am glad you know that!

      Delete
  9. I am very hungry now. For food and for a similar meeting with my country people. Although NYC is full of other Dominicans (and people from all over), there aren't many people from the village where I was born. And the city and the country in the Dominican Republic are very different. So yes, I often miss home so much.

    By the way, every time I think of little A, I picture him running up and down stairs... laughing with you running with him. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know this Magaly... I miss home a lot these days especially. I guess one always misses it... as years pass by.

      Little A is still so fond of stairs and steps... at times it gets a little difficult for us:) but we are happy he is an active child. :* Thanks Magaly!

      Delete
  10. P.S. You were a bit sad when you last commented on my blog. I hope you are feeling better now. Sending you many gentle hugs full of happy. (((♥)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, feeling better now.. can feel the hugs and happiness already XOXOXO!

      Delete
    2. That makes me very happy! ♥♥♥

      Delete
  11. Mh, yummy! That all looks very delicious. I would be interested especially in the ingredients of the salads. Super that you had such a nice day! Sunny greetings ☼ Nata xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nata, I will probably make a Russian dishes page in my blog :) Some very simple recipes.

      Delete
  12. All these food pictures make me hungry!!! It looks like a lovely feast.
    I know what you mean how nice it is to meet with people from your country. I feel the same. We meet up every other week for one evening, and everybody brings something to eat and drink. I also meet with some German women one morning a week and we knit (and talk and laugh) together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It still makes ME hungry... I wish we could have these meetings every week :P

      This is so good Carola you are meeting your folks too and even better that you knit together! I don't have such like minded people here who would crochet with me...:)

      Delete
  13. Yumy how many interesting salads here! I've never had the occasion to meet Russian culture, food and people. Btw it is interesting to see something through your blog. The white biscuits (Bezet) remind me the Italian 'spumiglie' but I don't know if it is the same thing =)
    Kisses
    Marghe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!Thanks for joining my blog, you are welcome!
      Where are you from? I thought Russians were everywhere, hehe.
      By the way, I checked this thing which is called spumiglie, it is exactly whet bezet is!! :) how interesting!

      Delete
  14. Your feast looks fabulous! I'm glad everyone had a great time. Your trip back was very scenic. Beautiful sunset!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna, it was a lovely time spent with friends :)

      Delete
  15. It sounds like a fantastic day out, it's always lovely to meet up with people from your own country when you are living so far away. The feast looks amazing I would have to try a bit of everything. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh - I gained weight just looking at those beautiful dishes! What a fun day for you and your little stair climber!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...