Friday 26 October 2012

Burning Demons - Literally

   Yet another title for my witchy blog, however this is a promised post about one of the biggest festivals celebrated in India - Dussehra. You can read about it here. The festival season starts in October and continues till mid November. This is a great time for witnessing India's most beautiful traditions and celebrations which vary from state to state.
  We live in the North India, Dussehra has been the 3rd one for me to celebrate.The story behind this festival tells us about Victory of God Ram over Raavan, who is frequently called "demon". The story is told in one of the most sacred Hindu texts Ramayana. Raavan originates from Shri Lanka, and the reason why Ram wanted to kill him was that he abducted Ram's wife Sita to his Kingdom. Raavan has 10 heads and this is the secret of his invincibility. This reminds me of the Russian fairy tales' character  Zmei Gorynych (Змеи Горыныч), who is supposed to have 3 heads, which grow again as soon as the main hero cut them. I asked my husband, why didn't they make those ten heads this year, he replied that it was understood anyway :) We weren't able to come closer to the performance ground and were watching from quiet a distance while...
Other people were watching the performance from the roof tops.
The main act begins: the Raavan's brothers are being defeated by Ram's arrow.
                            
                            
  Now it is time for Raavan to follow the destiny of his brothers. This is indeed a spectacular view! These huge papier mache dolls are constructed 2-3 weeks in advance and destroyed in just few seconds. In short - this festival's main philosophy is the victory of good upon evil, killing demons inside ourselves.
   Hope you liked this Indian festival, more are coming! I am happy that I can share my experience with all of you, my friends! I still have to work on Saturday, but You all Have a great weekend!

7 comments:

  1. Its good to know you like Indian culture and festivals so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do:) and My husband is Indian, so I have to know his culture more. Thanks for you nice comments!

      Delete
  2. Very fascinating, I love that you are posting this so we can all learn more about this fascinating culture.
    hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you liked it, Meredith! I will try to make more of such cultural posts:) Hugs, Anna!

      Delete
  3. Hi Anna, You seem to have had a really good time during Dussehra. Good for you! You have explained it so beautifully.
    Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had, yes. Thanks for your sweet comment, Sangeetha!:)

      Delete
  4. Very impressive flames! And an interesting festival. Thank you for taking us along. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...